HVAC Engineering Manager, P.E. Stamp and Certification Required.
Job is focused in indoor agriculture space with the majority of projects undertaken consisting of indoor cannabis cultivation projects.
General Characteristics: This position will encompass leadership and engineering oversight of design/build projects for a team that designs HVAC as well as plumbing and piping process systems for a variety of projects in the indoor agriculture space with a focus on air cooled, chilled water systems and other equipment. Must have the ability to interpret code requirements in multiple states and stamp (or acquire a stamp shortly after employment in key states) for projects in the United States where cannabis agriculture is legal, or soon to be legal, as well as undertaking primary design with partners stamping in Canada. Ideal candidate will assist and lead efforts for team on timely completion of mechanical design and technical task work on multiple projects varying in size and scope. Ideal candidate would be a leader with prior construction experience and solid mentoring characteristics to coach a younger generation of engineers and project managers as well as optimize current designs and processes in an emerging market.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and mentors a team of six or more young engineering graduates on design work while actively overseeing projects to meet customer deadlines and expectations.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for, and understanding of, whole building M/E/P systems.
- Develops engineering talent through mentoring, design review, and expanding departmental knowledge.
- Prepares and reviews mechanical and plumbing system designs at the schematic, design development, and construction document phases of a project for all team members.
- Works closely with in-house project management team on deliverable timing, technical questions, as well as project coordination with outside construction trades and installing contractors.
- Develops technical specifications and controls sequences of operation as required.
- Utilizes load calculations for sizing and selecting HVAC and plumbing/piping equipment (e.g. chillers, air-handling units, pumps, cooling towers, boilers, coils, filtration systems, dampers, valves, controls).
- Under limited direction and using prescribed methods, applies diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices and makes independent decisions regarding engineering complexities and methods to create designs that meet client expectations appropriate to project scope and within established project budgets.
- Analysis of current company design approach as well as industry best practices and past projects to find value and more cost-effective solutions for clientele utilizing input from multiple team members.
- Works within the design process for various owners and project types and understands outside team members’ roles, perspectives, and analysis needs.
- Effectively communicates with project team and clients through regular project status updates; resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely manner and handles difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Protects the company’s reputation by self-checking work to avoid errors and omissions.
- Confirms that designs are fundamentally sound and addresses applicable codes which can vary by state.
- Involvement in development of new products and cost-effective solutions relative to mechanical products and controls in the indoor agriculture space.
- On rare occasions may perform commissioning of mechanical and plumbing systems if owner requires.
- Helps develop a commissioning plan and works with the company’s internal commissioning team to ensure that construction, installation, and operational testing conform to design.
- Stamps engineering documents as required.
- Position reports directly to the company CEO and works with other department leaders to implement policies and practices.
Knowledge & Skills Desired:
- Knowledge or ability to learn applicable codes and standards required by each state where the company does business.
- Working knowledge of building and energy codes and design/construction standards.
- Knowledge of the architecture, engineering, and construction industry.
- Effective computer skills, including proficient use of AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks, and the Microsoft suite.
- Excellent and demonstrated communication skills — oral, written, and presentation, including the ability to represent the company in a professional manner.
- Ability to gather and interpret complex data and resolve problems.
- Ability to demonstrate the competencies of achieving results, initiative, communication, teamwork and analytical thinking.
- Past cultivation design experience and/or knowledge of indoor agriculture system a plus.
Work Environment: Company is fast paced and developing in an emerging industry with an emphasis on workplace agility and an ongoing focus in continuous improvement. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly work in an office and occasionally a construction environment. May be asked to travel to jobsite on rare occasions (less than once a month).
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Mechanical/HVAC Engineering Manager, P.E. — Last Name”